There are tons of cool watch faces and wallpapers to choose from on Apple Watch. Apple also gives you time-lapse wallpapers and Live Photos to set as wallpaper on your Watch. But they are not good enough for you if you are one of those adventurous people who want to give their smartwatch a unique feel. How about setting GIFs as wallpaper on your Apple Watch? Interested? GIFs could be funny, cool, ironic, and interesting. Here’s how to set it up. It’s pretty simple.
Turn the GIF into a Live Photo
To use GIFs as wallpaper, you have to turn the GIF into a Live Photo and save it. Just follow these steps:
- You have to download an app from the App Store that allows you to turn GIFs into Live Photos. There are several options in the App Store including the popular Giphy app. You are free to install any app of your choice
- Go to the GIF that you want to use as wallpaper on your smartwatch and save it to the Photos app
- In the Photos app, select the newly saved GIF or Live Photo and tap Edit in the top-right corner of the screen
- Go to your favorite frame and tap Make Key Photo
- Now launch the Watch app on your iPhone to create a watch face based on the key photo
- Select the Face Gallery tab and scroll down to the Photos option
- From the options under Content, select Photos
- Select the Live Photo that you created based on the GIF and add it as a watch face.
That’s it. Now go marvel the beauty of your favorite GIF as wallpaper on your Apple Watch.
If you are interested in adding new watch faces and customizing it, here’s our step-by-step guide to do it. There, I’ve also discussed how to add Complications to the Apple Watch.