QR codes are used in many different ways, such as to store contact information, website links, coupon codes, tickets, and more without having to remember or manually enter these details. Businesses also use QR codes to let users quickly send money, add an event to their calendar, or to connect to a specified WiFi router. If you own an iPhone or iPad, you can scan QR codes within seconds because Apple has integrated the QR code scanning technology into the Camera app.
Despite its ease of use and simplicity, a large number of people don’t know how to scan QR code on their iPhone or iPad. If you don’t know how to do it, let me explain it in the simplest way.
To scan QR code on your iPhone or iPad:
- Launch the Camera app from the Home screen, Lock screen, or Control Center
- Hold the device so that the QR code appears within the viewfinder of your Camera app
- Don’t tap the shutter button. Your iPhone or iPad will automatically recognize the QR code
- You’ll instantly see a notification on your screen
- Tap the notification to perform the action the QR code was supposed to trigger such as opening a website, saving a contact or making payment
How to scan QR code in the Wallet app
Apple has also added a QR code scanner in the Apple Wallet app, where you can store boarding passes, student ID cards, coupons, movie tickets, bus tickets, credit cards, debit cards and more. One of the ways to save these “passes” and details in the Apple Wallet app is by scanning the QR code.
All you have to do is launch the Apple Wallet app, click on the plus button at the top in the Passes section, and access the scanner by tapping on “Scan Code to Add a Pass.” The Wallet app will scan QR codes only for things it considers as “passes.” It shows you an error message if you try to scan something else.
QR code remain popular even after the emergence of newer technologies like NFC tag scanning because of its ease of use and convenience. QR codes are also easy to make and open to everyone.