We are living in the digital age. But sometimes for some reason beyond your control, you’ll have to print something. If you have the document you want to print on your iPhone or iPad, you don’t have to transfer it to a computer for printing. You can print documents – whether it’s your resume, a work email, or something else – directly from your iDevice. However, there are a couple of different ways to print from the iPhone or iPad depending on the kind of printer you have.
Print documents with Apple’s AirPrint
Most modern printers support Apple’s AirPrint functionality, allowing you to print full-quality documents and graphics with ease. Almost all printers from popular brands like HP, Samsung, Epson, Canon, and dozens of others support AirPrint. Here’s the full list of printers that support AirPrint. Check if yours is on the list. If you find your printer on the list, follow these steps to print documents from your iPhone or iPad:
- Connect your iPhone and the printer to the same WiFi network
- Launch the app that you want to print the document from
- Tap on the share icon, which could look like or depending on your device. If you don’t see the share icon, tap the three-dot icon
- Now select the Print option and then Select Printer to choose the AirPrint-supported printer
- Select the pages or number of copies you want to print. You can print up to 99 pages in one go
- Now tap Print in the top-right corner of the screen to begin printing
If you want to view its status, open the App Switcher on your device and tap Print Center. To cancel it, just tap Cancel Printing.
Print documents without AirPrint
The old printers might not support AirPrint functionality. But you can still print from them using your iPhone or iPhone if they have wireless connectivity. Before you can do that, head over to the App Store and download the app associated with your printer. Now follow these steps:
- On your iPhone or iPad, launch the app associated with the printer that you just downloaded
- Make sure the printer’s WiFi is enabled
- On the iDevice, launch the Settings app and go to WiFi, then connect it with your printer
- Once your iPhone/iPad is connected to the printer’s WiFi network, go to the page or document that you want printed
- Hit the Share icon, select Print option, then choose the number of copies you want, and print it
It’s that easy!