So, you are sitting in a cafe with a good WiFi connection, and want to download all those YouTube videos you’ve been planning to watch for quite a while. Once downloaded, you’ll probably watch them while traveling through the desert or on the airplane. But there is one problem – you don’t know how to download YouTube videos. Let me help you out quickly.
YouTube allows you to embed and share videos. But it allows downloading only on its own apps. Downloading videos on your computer is a violation of its Terms of Service, unless YouTube has granted you the permission to download. Fortunately, there is a way to download videos on your computer. Let’s check out how to download YouTube videos on your smartphone as well as computer.
Downloading on smartphone
- On your iOS or Android phone, launch the YouTube app and tap your photo in the top-right corner to go to Settings
- On the Settings page, scroll down to Download quality and tap on it. Now select what resolution you want to download the video in
- After adjusting the Download quality, go to the video you want to download.
- Next to the title of the video, you’ll see a three-dot icon. Tap on the three dots
- From the popup options, select Download. Now your video will start downloading
- To check the download progress, tap Library in the bottom-right corner. You can also pause or cancel it from there
- Once the download is complete, you’ll be able to watch the video from the Library even when your device is not connected to the Internet
Downloading on a computer
You have to rely on a third-party software to download YouTube videos on your computer. There are a bunch of tools, including the popular VLC media player, that let you download videos. The most popular of them is the 4K Video Downloader.
- Go to the official website of 4K Video Downloader and click the Get 4K Video Downloader button
- Download and install the tool on your computer. You don’t have to pay them $15 for the full-fledged version of the tool. The free version is good enough to download videos
- Go to the YouTube video you want to download and copy its URL
- Launch the 4K Video Downloader and click on the Paste Link button in the top-left corner of the menu
- The tool will check the video and show you a bunch of options such as video quality and video format. Select the quality and format you want
- Click the Download button
- Once the download begins, you’ll see a progress page showing the download speed and estimated time remaining. You can pause or cancel the video from the same page.
Go enjoy your favorite video!